San Francisco 49ers
The San Francisco 49ers will open a new stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. in 2014. Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, the venue will be a showcase of cutting-edge technology, as well as sustainability. It will be the first new stadium in the Bay Area market in more than 50 years and the first NFL stadium to be certified LEED Gold.
With a plan to pioneer technologies that will revolutionize the game experience for fans—including a proprietary mobile platform and app suite—the new stadium offers unique opportunities for engaging corporate partners. The team is seeking not only revenue from sponsorship fees, but assistance in executing its vision. The stadium’s location also opens the door to discussions with tech sector companies that have not typically partnered with major sports properties.
Given the combination of traditional and non-traditional sponsorship benefits in the 49ers Founding Partner and naming rights packages, the team brought in IEG to assess and provide third-party validation of the partnerships’ values.
Besides presenting the IEG Valuation Statements to prospective sponsors, the 49ers used them to validate sponsorship revenue projections for financial institutions and other stakeholders involved in financing the new stadium.
Additionally, the 49ers sought strategic counsel, custom intelligence and competitive insights from IEG to ensure the team is providing compelling business-building solutions for prospects in both traditional and non-traditional categories.
- Recommended ways to increase the value and desirability of the sponsorship packages
- Determined the value of specific assets and inventory, such as training facility naming rights, press conference backdrop, suite tower naming rights, etc.
- Identified and accounted for difficult-to-value benefits associated with non-traditional categories such as green energy and highly integrated technology
- Delivered competitive intelligence on the components and estimated rights fees of major naming rights and founding partnerships for NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA stadiums/arenas
- Supplied revenue projections based on various sales scenarios
- Created customized Valuation Statements for top sponsorship categories and prospects
Since engaging with IEG, the 49ers have secured multimillion-dollar Founding Partner deals with Brocade Communications, SAP, Violin Memory, NRG, Sony and Anheuser-Busch. Most recently, the 49ers signed Levi’s to be their Naming Rights Partner.
Moving forward, the team is continuing to negotiate major partnerships using IEG to justify their value to potential partners.
Return to Case Studies